10 Life Lessons Inspired by our Real Estate Adventures in 2010
While sitting on a train from Richmond to Philadelphia this past Thanksgiving Holiday, we put together 10 of our most personally inspiring life lessons learned over the past year. We looked back at some of the more highly read Real Estate blogs that we wrote for inspiration. In essence, these blogs have become a journal of sorts for us, chronicling the weird, wacky and in some cases brilliant experiences we've had. In putting this article together for you, we realized that even though we are Realtors® by profession, there are some pretty great real life universal lessons that we learned and we want to share some of them with you.
So here they are. 10 Lessons from Realtor® to Real Life
1) Sabotage is only cool when the Beastie Boys sing it, unless Eminem's got the mic.
We learned that great life lessons can be learned everywhere, even through the edgy, in your face lyrics of pop culture's famed rap artists.
2) Beer not required but it never hurts.
We learned to celebrate those unexpected and even unusual moments when they insert themselves into our daily life. If someone brings cake to the office meeting, call it a party! If there is beer in the boardroom, make a toast! Go with the flow and enjoy.
3) Invisible friends make the best BFF's ever ! One of the great lessons of all time for us is to delegate the work that we need to get done and we've entrusted that to some people who we almost never see! Virtual assistants. Meet one of our invisible friends.
4) Look up! Lift your gaze off the ground, away from your Blackberry, off of the keyboard, or iPad, get out of your head and look up into the eyes of your friends and colleagues. Interact because life is good!
5) Often, "Simple" is the best strategy. When we uncomplicate things it almost always equates to less stress and greater success. This concept can be applied to everything from our work schedule to our junk drawer at home.
6) Honesty is the best policy. This well worn phrase needs no explanation.
7) Take a vacation ! We are pretty sure that it is a Law of Physics (like gravity and entropy) that when you take a vacation, expect your business to grow.
8) Sometimes when you lose you win ! It happens to the best of us when we experience a setback or disappointment that breaks our heart. Then later as time passes we see that the loss was actually a blessing in disguise as something greater was out there for us!
9) Excitement is contagious! Wooo Hooo!
10)"Slow down you move too fast..." (Simon and Garfunkle) Never toss the car keys into your trunk and then close it while your car is parked illegally in front of a fire hydrant at N 12th and Wood Streets thus making your wife take a cab to bail you out of your predicament because you were rushing for no reason at all except out of habit. "Feeling groovy..."
There it is folks. The 10 Lessons we learned this year!!
We look forward to yet another year of life's peculiar and admittedly wise teachings with great excitement. 2010 was certainly interesting for us and we hope that as this year draws to a conclusion for you, that your December Holidays be filled with much health and joy as can possibly be had.